Here for the Ride: Andre D. Wagner’s Subway Photographs


"I spent my first twenty-three years on this planet living in the same apartment building in the Bronx. I felt ownership over those gum-stained concrete blocks. I dreamed of scattering my ashes on them when I died, like Miguel Piñero scattered his around the Lower East Side. (I still might.) Then, two years ago, when I was twenty-five, I left New York. I left because I was tired. I started working at thirteen to contribute to my household. I busted my ass in public schools, got a scholarship to a Catholic high school, and graduated college with an Ivy League degree. Despite all this, I still lived check to check, just like everyone else I knew. I wanted to do the things my single mom had never had the chance to, like own property or save for retirement. But I saw the money flowing into New York City. I saw neglected neighborhoods regurgitate cocktail bars and cycling studios. I saw the rents skyrocket as fast as the property values. ..."
The Paris Review
Andre D. Wagner
Meet Andre D. Wagner, The Photographer Documenting The Poetic Side Of New York City
Andre D. Wagner’s Street Photos of Life in Brooklyn (Video)
vimeo: Andre D. Wagner, Photographer

2017 August: Capturing Love, the Brooklyn Way, 2017 September: An Ode to Acts of Kindness on the New York City Subway

No comments:

Post a Comment