​Matepe & Karimba.

“Matepe Music. ... I use this label as a kind of general idea. I've borrowed the words from that article, from his book, from your vid and I go with it, wondering what exactly it is that I reference. At first I mean those mbira instruments with the flattened bell-shaped, cavernous resonators, the right hand octaves that hocket with in-house overtones, saturated with deep and low and growling fundamentals. I mean the conversation between the rattle player's patterns and the improvising mbira, the clipped exclamations of hup! hup! hup! that cut into soaring singing lines and virtuosic yodeling, the gentle clamor of muted fingerpads on the jenje drum, the cupped hand claps, the ecstatic whistles and the dancer's foot stomps. ...”

Layout of a Karimba (left) and Matepe (right) that are tuned together. Karimba made by Jacob Mafuleni and matepe made by Chaka Chawasarira.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment