Reggae Revival: Meet the Millennial Musicians Behind Jamaica’s New Movement


"It’s 4:00 in the morning on a Sunday in Jamaica and I am standing on the edge of Plantation Cove, an open field in St. Ann, the parish along the northern coast where you can find the shore where Columbus landed, and where Marcus Garvey and Bob Marley were born. I am six hours into my second night at a reggae festival called Rebel Salute. Though dancehall has dominated Jamaican radio for going on three decades, reggae festivals are still held year-round, and Rebel Salute is considered the most legit. Jamaicans speak of it the way they might describe a tincture or an extract, as though it contained a higher concentration of some magical, ineffable ingredient than other festivals do. 'Rebel Salute?' the hotel manager back in Kingston had told me, eyebrows raised. 'There you will see real reggae. I mean, real, real reggae.' He scrunched up his nose as if he were a Frenchman describing a pungent cheese. 'I mean real, real, real, roots, roots music.' ..."
Vogue (Video)
YouTube: On Tour With Jamaica’s Reggae Revival

No comments:

Post a Comment