Toronto, a City Full of Public Art Exhibitions - Douglas Coupland


"In the summer of 1979, I drove from Vancouver to Toronto with my best friend Mike. It was the year Toronto eclipsed Montréal to become Canada’s most populous city, and just as Mike and I were driving into Toronto’s city limits, highway workers were installing a new welcome sign with Toronto’s new population tally. If this had been 25 years later, I would have had a smartphone to capture the moment, but it was 1979, so all it can ever remain is a charming memory. Population: roughly 2.8 million versus Montréal’s 1.7 million. Nine years later, I was working in Toronto in October of 1988, and the city was experiencing a very mild Indian summer. On Halloween night, I attended a friend’s party dressed as an ironic ghost: a bedsheet with two holes cut out for the eyes. ..."
New Yorker

No comments:

Post a Comment