The Art and History of Lettering Comics


"... INTRODUCTION by Neil Gaiman: They say that Laozi, the semi-legendary Old Master, wrote down what he knew about the Way in the Tao Te Ching at the request of a city gatekeeper, before leaving the city, and walking out of history into the western wilderness. I wrote my first comics for Karen Berger at DC Comics in 1987. It was called Black Orchid, and was painted by Dave McKean. 'I’m assigning Todd Klein as letterer,' said Karen. 'Todd’s the best we have.' Todd lettered Black Orchid, beginning perhaps my longest professional relationship, and I did not know how lucky I was then. But I knew I wanted Todd for Sandman, and I never had cause ever to regret that decision. No matter how strange or difficult or time-consuming my lettering request, Todd would always come through for me. He made magic. ..."


Zap Comix #0 back cover, © Robert Crumb

No comments:

Post a Comment