Healthcare in Gaza is in a state of acute trauma

A Palestinian man walks past a heavily damaged building of the author's alma mater, Islamic University of Gaza [UIG}, in Gaza City, on February 15, 2024.

"On October 7, my morning began like any other, at least on the surface. As a surgical resident who takes great pride in his job, I did my rounds with patients amid the usual hustle and bustle of the hospital, and then scrubbed in to operate on an emergency case alongside one of my mentors. When I felt the metal coldness of the scalpel in my hand, however, perhaps for the first time in my career, I did not feel a thrill. I did not experience the profound joy that normally comes with the opportunity to improve a person’s life on the operating table. My attending surgeon sensed something was amiss, and asked me what was wrong. I shared with him the news I had received from my mother back home: the bombing had started. Gaza, my home, was under attack. He listened, and tears started to form in his eyes. When I saw him, a non-Palestinian, share my pain, something cracked in me, and I broke down. ..."





NY Times: The first seaborne aid to Gaza could depart Cyprus as early as Saturday.

Palestinian children suffering from malnutrition receive treatment at a health care center in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on March 5, 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment