A Trip to Ukraine Clarified the Stakes. And They’re Huge.

"While visiting Kyiv last week, my first trip to Ukraine since Vladimir Putin’s invasion in February 2022, I tried to get my exercise every morning by walking the grounds of St. Michael’s Golden Domed Monastery. Its serenity, though, has been disrupted by a jarring exhibit of destroyed Russian tanks and armored personnel carriers. During my walks, I’d poke my head into these jagged, rocket-pierced hulks, wondering what terrible death must have come to the Russian soldiers operating them. But the shock of this tangled mass of rusting steel, sitting in the middle of this grand, whitish-stone piazza, evoked a different image in my mind’s eye: a meteor. ..."

NY Times: Opinion | Thomas L. Friedman

Destroyed Russian military equipment is exhibited in Kyiv at St. Michael’s Golden Domed Monastery.

No comments:

Post a Comment