​Kherson: As Russia retreats, Ukrainians still fear a trap

"Not long after the Russians announced they would be pulling out of Kherson, a text popped up on my phone. It was from a resident of the city, who wanted to remain anonymous, giving me her impressions of what was happening. ‘I've seen the announcement and I'm really surprised,’ she wrote. ‘Of course, I hope things are going to get better, but during these eight months of occupation I learnt not to believe a word the Russians say. They lie so much about everything.’ She could see Chechen fighters, loyal to Moscow, moving around the city, many wearing civilian clothes. Her concern, like so many of her fellow citizens, was that Russia's announcement could be a trap - designed to draw Ukrainian troops into a killing ground. ...”

Ukrainian soldiers near Kherson believe Moscow is trying to lure them into a trap

No comments:

Post a Comment