All Things Are Possible: Mario Vargas Llosa on the Eternal Youth of Flaubert’s Writing

“At some point in the last century, I arrived in Paris and that very day bought a copy of Madame Bovary in a bookstore called Joie de Vivre in the Latin Quarter. I stayed up nearly all night reading it and by dawn I knew what kind of writer I wanted to be. Thanks to Flaubert, I was starting to get familiar with all the secrets of the art of the novel. No one did more to further the genre of the novel than the Hermit from Croisset. ... This is how Flaubert created the modern novel and laid the foundation for what, years later, would be the infinite devices and techniques that James Joyce invented with which to supply the genre and differentiate it from the past and its classic iteration. ...”

No comments:

Post a Comment