​Cooking with Dante Alighieri By Valerie Stivers

“For the past fourteen months I have been on a path of conversion to Catholicism. ... We are slowly reading a book of contemporary Italian theology. ... I have struggled especially, as a previously secular person, with believing in sin. As a category, it has always seemed socially malignant, an excuse to burn witches. And in my personal life both gluttony and lust might be problems, especially because they don’t really seem like problems: sex and food are good things. And so I was overjoyed to find an articulation of sin that makes sense to me in The Divine Comedy, by Dante Alighieri (1265-1321), a three-volume work wherein a pilgrim travels through nine circles of hell and then seven cornices of purgatory, before reaching paradise.  ...”

No comments:

Post a Comment