The Art at the End of the World


The jetty was completed in 1970 but was later covered when the level of the Great Salt Lake rose. Around 1999, the water began to recede.
"... We were flying 2,000 miles to see more than 6,000 tons of black basalt rocks extending 1,500 feet into the Great Salt Lake in the shape of a counterclockwise vortex, designed by the most famous practitioner of ’70s land art, Robert Smithson. ‘It’s called the Spiral Jetty,’ I told them. I showed them pictures. I admitted that maybe ‘the end of the world’ wasn’t the best way to advertise what I hoped we would experience, even though previous visitors had described the landscape as hauntingly spare, as resembling how our planet might appear following a nuclear holocaust. Smithson’s gallerist, Virginia Dwan, said the jetty ‘was something otherworldly, but I hesitate to say hell, because I don’t mean everybody being tortured and so forth, but the feeling of aloneness, and of it being in a place that was unsafe, and something devilish, something devilish there.’ ..."
NY Times

2007 November: Robert Smithson, 2010 April: Spiral Jetty, 2012 March: Asphalt Rundown, Rome, 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment