​Philosophers Drinking Coffee: The Excessive Habits of Kant, Voltaire & Kierkegaard

 
“I think I speak for many of us when I say that coffee fuels our greatest intellectual efforts. And even as we get the jitters and leave brown rings on our desks, we can take comfort in the fact that so it also went with some of the most notable philosophers in the history of the discipline. ... In the 19th century, Søren Kierkegaard would also get into a coffee ritual. He ‘had his own quite peculiar way of having coffee,’ writes biographer Joakim Garff. ‘Delightedly he seized hold of the bag containing the sugar and poured sugar into the coffee cup until it was piled up above the rim. Next came the incredibly strong, black coffee, which slowly dissolved the white pyramid.’ I always drink it black myself, but who among us dares think ourselves too good for the teeth-aching preferred by the author of Fear and Trembling? ...”

No comments:

Post a Comment