The Particular Texture and Joy of Homemade Ice Cream


"Because my husband, Michael, and I lived in the same neighborhood in Brooklyn before we met, we share memories that go back to our childhoods. We remember when there was a Woolworth’s on Avenue J — it was where I bought candy with my weekly allowance. We remember blackout cake from Ebinger’s and pizza from DiFara, now famous but then the local slice joint. So one recent night, when we were finishing dinner and Michael said, 'I was thinking about the ice cream at that restaurant near Coney Island Avenue,' I jumped in and said, 'Remember how it always had itsy bits of ice in it!' It was just the point he wanted to make. The ice was always there, but somehow still always unexpected. I liked it. ..."
NY Times

2014 August: Ice Cream, 2016 March: Spring comes to brownstone Brooklyn in 1949, 2016 July: Gelato, 2017 May: Maximalism or Minimalism? The Modern Ice Cream Lover’s Dilemma, 2020 January: First Snow By Jill Talbot

No comments:

Post a Comment