The Life of a Ghost Town


Century-old houses stand empty at the former Idarado Mine, near Silverton, Colorado. The homes were moved here in 1948 from Eureka, a nearby ghost town.
"There is a ghost town, high in the Colorado Rockies, inaccessible to all but the most rugged four-wheel-drive vehicles, that I’ve visited since I was a child. I’ll call the town Inez, instead of its real name, since the folks who live in that solitary spot are there for a reason: they don’t like being around a lot of people, and they aren’t interested in attracting tourists. Many of them are my relatives, too, and I’d like to stay on speaking terms. They aren’t hermits, exactly, but they aren’t very sociable, either. 'This is my hideout,' one put it. Inez, surrounded by a fortress of peaks, has always seemed like a remote and rustic Shangri-la, far from the rest of the world and the current time period. When I was a child, my family would jeep up the narrow, rocky shelf road that leads to Inez, climbing over the final crest and into an aspen valley and a town that wasn’t much more than a handful of old log cabins in various stages of decay. ..."
Alta

Built in 1892, this wooden powerhouse helped supply compressed air for mining operations near Crystal, Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment