From Stage to Page: Unpacking a Shelf of New Dance Publications


Melissa Toogood channels Pam Tanowitz’s choreography in Dance Ink.
"First, a bit of autobiography. Years ago I set out to write, to teach, perhaps to become a literary critic. Tortured by the need to sit still, I took dance classes to break up days at my desk, and was pointed toward dance journalism by a teacher who liked my reviews. Ditching grad school in English literature to write for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and the alternative press, I decided to read all the dance books in the Vancouver Public Library: about eighty the day I counted them. 'Piece of cake,' I said to myself, figuring that when I was done I'd be ready to dive in to dance criticism. That was in another country, and another century. Now there are probably eight thousand dance books written in English, and so many piled up in my apartment that I've considered replacing my queen-size bed with a single to make more room for shelves. ..."
VOICE
amazon: Trisha Brown: Choreography as Visual Art, Radical Bodies: Anna Halprin, Simone Forti, and Yvonne Rainer in California and New York, 1955-1972, Flowers Cracking Concrete: Eiko & Koma’s Asian/American Choreographies, Dance & Politics: Moving Beyond Boundaries
Dance Ink, Vol. 8, No. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment