Arto Lindsay: Space, Parades, and Confrontational Aesthetics

 
“I first Met Arto Lindsay at a party I hosted at my house to preview a new set by my band Zs.  Of course it was an honor and a privilege to have the man in my house—founding the band DNA alone makes him a legend! Arto and I have a mutual friend, Arto’s manager Ryu Takahashi, and through him we had occasion to meet a number of times over the next couple of years.  As I got to know Arto and his work better, I began to appreciate the breadth of his artistic vision.  Not only had Arto founded arguably the most important band from New York’s early-’80s No Wave scene, he is a well-known figure in Brazilian pop, collaborator of Matthew Barney’s, leader of parades, and thrower of sounds in space. Alexis de Tocqueville has said that Americans ‘cut through the form to the substance.’  Punk, which is quintessentially American, does just that.  Born of an urgency around reaching people through disruptive and confrontational aesthetics and social practice, punk is inherently populist at the level of essence. ...”

No comments:

Post a Comment