The Origins of Scandinavian Noir


Martin Lewis, The Great Shadow, 1925
"Sometime in the early eighties, I began reading a series of mysteries that featured a Swedish homicide detective named Martin Beck. I was living in Berkeley at the time, studying for a Ph.D. in English literature as I worked a variety of part-time jobs, and I knew a lot of people both inside and outside the academy. Being a talkative sort, I started telling everyone around me about this incredible Scandinavian cop series. Soon we were all reading it. What I knew at the time was that it was written by a couple, Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö, who had from the very beginning envisioned it as a sequence of ten books that would portray Swedish society from a distinctly Marxist perspective. ..."
The Paris Review
W - Martin Beck
CIS: A guide to the Martin Beck series
amazon: Martin Beck (10 book series)

No comments:

Post a Comment