Janie Cohen: Rogue Cloth Work


"I carried a security blanket as a little kid. It was a pale, bluish-green with a satiny binding across the top, which I sucked on. I realized years later why the smell of mildew was comforting to me. When I was 4, my family moved to Palo Alto for my father’s sabbatical year. My mom worried that if I lost my blanket it would scar me for life. So, with my permission, she cut it into 8 pieces and meted them out to me during the course of the year. I think I consumed the whole blanket. Cloth carries associations of comfort, security, warmth, not just for me, but historically. For centuries, cloth was central in the lives of women: spinning, weaving, sewing, darning, mending, quilting, swaddling, shrouding. I am drawn to its histories and humanity, its evocative traces of age and use. ..."
Rogue Cloth Work: About
Rogue Cloth Work
‘Rogue Cloth Work’: Janie Cohen at the Supreme Court

'Transcription of handwritten note: Testmony (Detail) by Janie Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment