Kate & Anna McGarrigle - "Goin Back to Harlan"


"There where no cuckoos, no sycamores
We played about the forest floor
Underneath the silver maples, the balsams and the sky
We popped the heads off dandelions
Assuming roles from nursery rhymes
Rested on the riverbank
And grew up by and by, and grew up by and by

Frail my heart apart
And play me a little shady grove
Ring the bells of rhymney
Till they ring inside my head forever
Bounce the bow, rock the gallows
For the hangman’s reel
And wake the devil from his dream
I’m going back to Harlan

And if you were Willie Moore
And I was Barbara Allen
Or Fair Ellen all sad at the cabin door
A-weepin’ and a-pinin’, for love

YouTube: Goin Back to Harlan

2008 July: Kate and Anna McGarrigle, 2010 January: Kate McGarrigle 1946 – 2010, 2012 January: Entre Lajeunesse et la sagesse, 2012 April: Kate and Anna McGarrigle.

No comments:

Post a Comment