Downtown: My Manhattan - Pete Hamill


"Downtown wanders all over the map in Pete Hamill's very personal take on Manhattan. It starts off in the usual place, down there at the tip of the island, but it meanders as far north as the old Thalia movie theater, at Broadway and 95th Street. Why? Because that's where the author first saw the films of Kurosawa, Fellini and Bergman, which made the Thalia a spiritual twin of the Village art houses. 'Broadway in my mind is an immense tree,' Mr. Hamill explains, 'with its roots deep in the soil at the foot of Manhattan, which is why I insist so stubbornly to my friends that the uptown places I cherish on Broadway are actually part of downtown.'"
NY Times: Hanging Tough in a City That's Always Changing
amazon
WNYC: Pete Hamill (Video)

No comments:

Post a Comment