Growing Up With the War Tax Resisters


"The memory is vague, perhaps implanted. It may only exist because my mother has taken great pains over the years to remind me of it. It was either 1991 or ’92, and I am about three years old. It’s Christmas Day and we’re at a house in my hometown of Colrain, Massachusetts. Other people are there, too. We brought cookies to the event. At the time I thought of it as a party; I know now it was not. This memory was my mother’s way of telling me that I’ve always, even as a child, been politically active. We were there offering support to our neighbors, Randy Kehler and Betsy Corner. They had been war tax resisters for decades, and at this moment they were having their house repossessed by the IRS. My mother had dragged her preschool-aged son to what was essentially an act of civil disobedience. ..."
New Republic
W - An Act of Conscience (1997)
The Great Anti-War Films - An Act of Conscience
fandor: An Act of Conscience (1997)

2010 July: Draft dodger, Conscientious objector, War resister

No comments:

Post a Comment