Henry Wiggen's Last Pitch - Mark Harris (April 24 1979)


"Opening Day was fair and clear and dry with some what of a nip in the air. It was Spring and Dutch Schnell was dead. New York in the Spring meant clear days after rain and a nip in the air, and Dutch above every body else. I kept thinking I heard him shouting in the park. Where was the center of the park now that Dutch was dead, for in the past you listened for him and you looked for him, and where ever he was the center was. I sat in the Owners Box. Often in the past, Dutch walked down from the dugout to the box and shook hands and talked a little with some body there. Sometimes he kissed a lady for the camera, or a crippled child. When I was a young ball player I wondered why you done such things. When I was a more experienced ball player I thought you done it because the owner told you to. ..."
Esquire
SI: BANG THE DRUM LOUDLY FOR SOUTHPAW HENRY WIGGEN, BACK NOW IN A TRILOGY
Winning and Staying Honest in America’s Game
It Looked Like For Ever: the End of the Road for Henry Wiggen and Alex Rodriguez
Nebraska Press

2016 April: Henry Wiggen - fictional baseball player, 1954-1979

No comments:

Post a Comment