John Berger 1926-2017


"I first rang John Berger more than a year ago – I had been given his number by his publisher to arrange a date to meet him in Paris. I mentioned that November was a busy month, to which he responded in a warm, conspiratorial tone: that was good – because he would be away throughout the month and could not say when next he would be free. The sense was – charming, if not helpful in professional terms – that we would agree not to meet unless or until it suited us. The clear subtext was: let the bosses go hang. I put the phone down – amused but then anxious that I had missed my opportunity to meet the great man – storyteller, art critic, artist.  ..."
Guardian
New Yorker - Postscript: John Berger, 1926-2017
The Paris Review (Video 30:02)
Jacobin
NY Times: John Berger, Provocative Art Critic, Dies at 90
YouTube: John Berger, John Berger on Ways of Seeing, being an artist, and Marxism (2011) - Newsnight archives

2008 May: John Berger, 2010 November: Ways of Seeing - 1972 BBC four-part television series

No comments:

Post a Comment