The Spy Who Came in from the Cold: Top 10 Berlin Wall Movies


"The Spy Who Liked Me by John le Carré. Whenever I allow myself to remember my first encounter with the American director Martin Ritt, who made the film version of my novel 'The Spy Who Came in from the Cold,' I blush to think of the idiotic clothes I was wearing. It was 1963. The book had not yet been published. Ritt had bought the film rights to it on the strength of a rogue typescript slipped to him by my literary agent or my publisher, or maybe by some bright soul in a duplicating office who had a pal in the studio, which was Paramount. Ritt later boasted that he stole the rights. I later agreed with him. At the time, I saw him as a man of unlimited generosity who had taken the trouble to fly all the way from Los Angeles, with some like-minded friends, in order to give me lunch at that altar to Edwardian luxury the Connaught hotel and talk flatteringly about my book. ..."
The New Yorker
Guardian - Rereading: The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré
NYT: Temptations of a Man Isolated in Deceit - January 12, 1964
Criterion (Video)
YouTube: Initial briefing from The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (Suite)

2011 December: The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
2013 July: The Legend of Rita - Volker Schlondorff (2001), 2013 August: Good Bye, Lenin! (2003), 2013 August: Der Tunnel (2001), The Lives of Others (2007).

No comments:

Post a Comment