Nina Katchadourian


World Map Scandinavia
"I made this map in college in response to an assignment, and it marks the beginning of my work with maps. Using a blade, I took apart a paper map, moving pieces over to a large piece of paper which I watercolored the same blue as the ocean in the original map. Gradually, the world was reconfigured. I often reconstructed words using presstype in places where the names of countries had gotten truncated. There were switches based on historical or geopological factors (Western Europe inserted into West Africa); others were based on formal correspondences or quirks of the map itself. Australia and Alaska had the same green border color, for example, and fit perfectly together due to the distortion of scale that occurs towards the poles."
Nina Katchadourian: World Map
W - Nina Katchadourian
Nina Katchadourian: Sorted Books project
YouTube: Nina Katchadourian: "Seat Assignment"

No comments:

Post a Comment