Ten Women Who Use Film


Imogen Stidworthy, I Hate, 2007. Installation view, Documenta 2007
"In the summer of 2010, while lecturing on UbuWeb in London, I met Jennifer Higgie, co-editor of Frieze. Jennifer enthusiastically told me that she had been using Ubu extensively in her teaching. As I frequently do when I hear that someone has been engaging deeply with UbuWeb, I asked her how it could be better. She swiftly replied, 'UbuWeb could use more women filmmakers.' She's right. Ubu's film & video collection is based on the historical avant-garde, a genre overwhelmingly male. With the exception of a Marie Menken or Maya Deren -- and then later a Carolee Schneemann or Yvonne Rainer -- it isn't until the 1980s that women filmmakers' numbers increase, and even then, it's far from the norm."
Ubu Web

No comments:

Post a Comment